Who Are We?
Mrs N Parkin
Our Role - What Do We Do?
At Steyning CofE Primary School we provide non-judgmental pastoral support service for all children and their families. This is provided by our Children’s Mentors, Katie and Debbie who work in Caterpillars. Caterpillar Class is a safe place that has a home-like environment where all children are welcomed, valued and empowered in order to overcome barriers to academic, social and emotional learning.
Such Barriers Could Be
• Bullying (including cyber-bulling).
• Low self-esteem / low motivation.
• Social skills.
• Controlling emotions.
• Anything that may cause a child to worry at school or at home.
• Personal organisation.
• Relationship difficulties.
• Dealing with bereavement.
• Loss of a loved one.
• Disengagement from learning.
• Attendance and punctuality problems.
• Changes in home life.
Support We Offer
• One to one mentoring sessions tailored to the child's needs.
• Focused group sessions.
• Support at lunchtimes.
• Specific interventions such as Lego Therapy and Circle of Friend.s
• Liaising with parents / carers and teachers to support pupil progress.
• Supporting children’s transition at all stages throughout their school life.
• Signposting support for families from outside agencies and be the school link where appropriate.
Playground Buddies is a support system that the Children’s Mentors run at lunchtimes. Our Playground Buddies are children from lower and upper KS2 that give up their lunchtimes to set up playground games and activities for all children to be involved in. They attend the Playground Buddy Training Academy which teaches the children how to support and encourage others to have happy and fun playtimes where they feel safe.
• We are not teachers.
• We support all children and their families to provide non– judgemental support.
• In 2017 we supported over 80 children to help overcome their barriers to learning.
• We believe that every child is unique therefore we tailor specific support programmes around the needs of the child.
• We work with children, their families and teachers to give a holistic approach to their school life and to help overcome their barriers to learning.
How To Reach Us
We are always happy to help and talk to parents / carers about all aspects of their child’s social and emotional wellbeing, home and school life. You can contact us by calling the school or you can catch us in the playground at the beginning and end of the school day. Alternatively please feel free to email us: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.